Learn to recognize these seven common winter roofing issues, along with ways to help prevent them. Winter weather is tough on residential homes and commercial buildings.
- Condensation happens when the warm interior air meets the cold underside of the roof exposed to the winter temperatures. It is formed when you aren’t ventilating the roof correctly. Fix the ventilation before you get mold and mildew.
- Ice dams are caused by varying temperatures from your roof and outdoor temperatures. If you roof is too warm, it can melt the snow on your roof. When the snow melts it can run down the roof into the eaves and cause an ice dam. To prevent ice dams from happening, make sure the insulation is properly installed.
- Icicles forming on eaves and gutters is a problem during the winter months. Before winter hits, clean your gutters and eaves from debris and leaves. This allows water to flow freely and away from the house.
- Make sure roof flashing is not damaged. If it is damaged, it can cause leaks. Checking the flashing around chimneys, vents, pipes and roof edges will help prevent these types of leaks.
- Severe winter weather can damage roofing with it’s strong winds and extreme temperatures. Make sure your roof is in the best shape by getting it checked before winter strikes.
- Big beautiful trees around your house offers shade in the summer time, but in the winter time they can become heavy with snow and fragile from ice and can break. If a limb falls on your house it can cause major damage. Trim the trees back so they don’t hang over the house or within six feet of the roof.
- Small gaps in attic spaces can allow critters like squires and rats into the home. Having uninvited guests in your home can lead to a number of problems. Make sure that all areas are sealed up to prevent possible entry.
These are the most common winter roofing issues to avoid. Just remember that roofs are especially vulnerable to winter weather conditions. Make sure you are prepared. If you aren’t sure what you are looking for, call a professional, don’t try to do it yourself.
If you need a reputable roofing contractor to provide you with a free roof inspection, call Down Under Roofing. Our team at Down Under Roofing is dedicated to providing great results. We treat you with respect by offering honest and fair pricing that will fit most budgets. Contact our team today to see how we can help you with your roofing needs.